Avo Gallo Pinto
By Stephanie Wharton
Gallo pinto is a traditional dish of rice and beans from Central America. In this dish we add salsa, fresh cilantro, and avocado to the base prior to topping it with a fried egg. This meal is so comforting and is a great source of protein. Fry up some plantain slices and add a dollop of sour cream if you’re looking to take the flavors of this dish to the next level.
● 2/3 cup Jasmine Rice (dry, rinsed)
● 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil (divided)
● 1/2 Yellow Onion (medium, diced)
● 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (medium, diced)
● 1 cup salsa
● 3 Tbsps Cilantro (chopped, plus more for garnish)
● 1 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
● 2 cups Black Beans (cooked)
● 4 Egg
● 2 Avocado(sliced, for serving)Instructions:
1. Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
2. Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, red bell pepper, and salt. Cook for about five minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
3. Stir in the beans, salsa, and rice. Heat for five to 10 minutes or until warmed through. Season with more salt as needed.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate pan over medium heat. Crack the egg in the pan and cook until the whites are set and the yolk is cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining eggs.
5. Divide the gallop into onto plates and top with a fried egg and fresh cilantro. Serve sliced avocado alongside the rice mixture. Enjoy!