Festive Delicata Squash
By Stephanie Wharton
Delicata squash is one of my favorite fall foods. It’s packed with nutrients, easy to cook with, and versatile. You can even eat the skin after cooking because it’s so tender, which makes these Delicata boats functional and delicious. If you’re looking for more flavor, add some chili flakes or chopped parsley to the sausage mix.
● 1 Large Delicata Squash (cut lengthwise, seeds removed)
● 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
● Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
● 4 ozs Pork Sausage (casing removed)
● 1 cup Kale Leaves (chopped finely)
● 2 tbsps Parmigiano Reggiano (finely grated)
● 1/4 cup Walnuts (roughly chopped, optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Place the squash on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, place the sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat. Break the sausage up into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until browned and no longer pink, about eight to 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook until just wilted, around one to two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the squash from the oven and spoon the sausage and kale mixture into the scooped-out portion of the squash. Top with Parmigiano Reggiano and walnuts. Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned on top. If you want it more browned, broil for about one minute at the end. Divide onto plates, serve and enjoy!