Everyone knows they need to be drinking more water.
In fact, when I ask clients what the number one change is that they already know they should make, the answer is usually, “I know I need to drink more water.” This is also sometimes followed with, “But I don’t really like water!” Let me introduce you to the concept of infused water: a combination of fruits, herbs and water.
This daily gentle detox is a delicious substitute for soda or other sugary drinks, which also helps to cut caloric intake if you’re trying to lose weight. Drink infused water first thing in the morning. Even though there is no right or wrong way to infuse water, keep the following simple guidelines in mind:
- Use a mason jar or a simple water pitcher designed specifically to infuse water.
- Place fruit mixture and water in container the night before and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Your water is ready to drink upon waking.
- This is subjective, but you can choose to use re-use the same mixture of fruits and herbs throughout the day by continually adding more water.
- gently detoxes liver
- flushes toxins
- improves skin appearance
- helps immunity
- aids digestion
- fights inflammation
- can aid in weight loss
When it comes to lemon water specifically, many people could benefit from the alkalizing effects (as well as the electrolytes present) because most people have an acidic internal environment and are drinking municipally treated water void of healthy electrolytes and minerals so this approach becomes a safe and effective option at not only hydrating the body, but balancing it as well.
Any combination of fruits and herbs can be used, but here are some of my favorite:
- Citrus fruits (with or without the rind)
- Culinary herbs (mint, rosemary, thyme, basil, tarragon)
Try whatever you have on hand and make this a daily practice to reap the full health benefits! Start with a full glass of pure or infused water first thing in the morning and mostly between meals. Drinking water during meal time may dilute stomach acids and digestivemenzymes and make the digestive process less effective.
Download your free printable, which includes some of my favorite combinations plus specific health benefits for certain infused foods. Hang it on your fridge for daily inspiration!